Tuesday, September 09, 2008

So Much To Do, So Much To See-attle

Since last I wrote, I:

- Taped an audition for something shooting in Romania.
- Pretty much became a full-time reader.
- Moved.
- Auditioned in front of the guy I was supposed to act with in Battlestar Galactica.
- Visited Seattle.

Let's take it from the top, shall we?

The taping was for a Sci-Fi MOW called "Hellhounds". I don't know who at Sci-Fi is coming up with these titles, but they're brilliant (sadly, DRAGONSTEEL has changed its name to "Mirabilis", which is the name of the world where the story is set. Lame). The audition was for the lead role, which was pretty cool, but they needed to know some things first:

1. Do you have a valid passport? (I do)
2. Do you have any allergies? (I don't)
3. Do you have any tattoos? (I don't)
4. Can you ride a horse? (I ... can, I guess)

My reader for my taping slept past her alarm, so being a little stressed before the taping didn't help. Luckily, my female roommate was able to bail me out, and I gave an audition that my agent called "good work". Well, that's a relief.

I met with him recently, saying that my work is good, but he's not sure why I'm not booking as often. He keeps harping on this "testosterone" thing that he says this town needs. So, we decided an image change might be in order. Nothing huge, just change the hair a little (which I never really cared for anyway) and grow some scruff. Sweet, the beard's comin' back, baby!

He's also worried that I'm reading too much, which is wearing me down a little. I read in the day and I work at night, which leaves virtually no time to go to they gym, or to get anything simple done, like dry-cleaning. I told him that I don't want to be a career reader, but I need the money, and I like doing it. He doesn't mind me doing it, he just thinks four or five times a week is excessive.

The move was the entire day Sunday, helping the movers get everything into the van (except for my bed, what great luck on my part) and the second half of the day was spent cleaning, which turned out to be sub-par anyway, according to the landlady.

This new place is quite nice ... but I can't stay. I'll find me a replacement roomie and cheaper digs. It's just way more than I need, and to pay for it, I need to be working way more than I should. I'm making some money reading, but it's not consistent, and Cactus Club is scaling back hours across the board. I'd be nice to book a part, but I don't have much control over that.

I thought I had a great chance with a Battlestar Galactica MOW that they're making. Edward James Olmos, the guy I was supposed to share a scene with when I first booked on the show, was directing. I couldn't help but tell him:

"Hey man, I supposed to do a scene with you on the last episode, but they didn't shoot it."
"Well, let's see if we can't get this one," he said.

Well, I didn't get this one, but I came close. But hey, close only counts in horse-shoes, hand-grenades, and US Federal Elections.

My parents came to visit last Thursday, and are currently somewhere between Golden, BC and Banff, AB. We went to Seattle last Friday, which was fun. It's the first major American city I've ever visited, and I got to see the first ever Starbucks. Way cool. I got me $100 in green-backs before going down, but I didn't spend near all of it. I wanted a Pearl Jam shirt, but I ended-up with a Big Lebowksi t-shirt, and Washington University hoodie. Not a bad haul, and the good part is that it's close enough that I can just make a day of it again.

Or a weekend of it, if the Seahawks were playing, for instance.

No comments: