Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Week in the Life

Well, I've been in BC for a full week now. I gotta say, the people have been fantastic so far. I've met a lot of great people in a short time. For some odd reason, they remind me of some of the people I know back home. It's like a new season of a sitcom, and they swapped a lot of the main characters, and some older characters have returned. Also, they changed the plot and the set. At least the main character is the same (except there was some talk of replacing him with a squirrel, but they couldn't write it into the script).

I had my VFS orientation yesterday, and I got to meet the people I'll be working with in the next year. They seem like a cool bunch, not that typical pretentious acting type that I'm used to working with here, that's for sure. One them was named Gambit (yes, after the X-Men, no it's not his real name). All I can say is this should be a year comprised of 365 days. Just what HAPPENS in those days, well, you and I will just have to wait and see.

Still looking for an apartment in downtown Vancouver. Apparently there's like a 1.4% vacancy rate, and that 1.4% is actually the treehouses that kids don't want to use anymore. They cost $1200 per month, heat, water, electricity, phone, cable, internet and laundry are all extra. It's a pretty good deal, I have an appointment with Timmy at 5 pm (that's when the lemonade stand closes). It comes with free sprinkler privileges, so, huzzah.

I found out that the job I used to have before moving won't exist anymore after Nov. 13. Looked like I got out at the right time. It was a crappy job, but a lot of good people worked there, and this is going to hit some of them really hard. This furthers my "call centers are the modern factories" theory; It's crap work, long and boring, but you can get hired relatively easy, they will train you, and as long as you can do the job, you'll be fine. But if a contract isn't renewed, well, looks like you'll have to find a new factory. I just hope the people there can find a better factory soon.

No comments: