Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Potent Potables

Well, here I am. Jumping in feet first (I'm a horrible diver), and seeing that I get myself wet enough to make the work I did leading up to this worth it. I gotta say, as I expected, the last year went by like a flash in hindsight. Now the real work begins.

I want to say again, that I couldn't be more lucky out here. Knowing the people I know and meeting all the new people I've met since arriving, I feel much more at ease here. At home some would say. Which reminds me, I now have a place in downtown Vancouver! I'll be moving in on the weekend. Super-pumped for it, I'll be closer to the school and more available for any social events. Plus I have a lift into Richmond to go to the church, where I now (get ready for it): Sing in the choir. Yeah. I haven't been in a choir since grade five, back when I thought that the word spelled-out was pronounced "CHOY-er". But the people in the choir are nice an patient and unarmed, so it's all good.

Back to the school aspect, and I can already promise I'll be a different actor by the end of it. It's good to get the tough training now, instead of getting babied and getting my butt handed to me in a Styrofoam container with a side of chicken fried rice (with plum sauce, mmmm). Not saying that it's been too tough yet. One of our courses asks us to watch movies for homework. Hah, I'll just read the spoilers from imdb.com, and save myself two hours! I sure picked the right profession to break into, eh?! But seriously, I already know I picked the right school, just from the vibe I get from it. One of the classes gives us a chance to get behind a camera, and a boom mike, and lights, and we get to say "ten one hundred" when we need to pee or BM. I'll sound so pro when it's potty time. And clothespins are called "C-47's". That is not a joke. It's the hands-on filmmaking that I chose VFS for, and I'm glad it's happening so soon.

They also gave me a free backpack, waterbottle, lanyard and umbrella (but since it hasn't really rained once since I moved out here, I might as well toss that, right?)

Anyway, I'll be popping in with any amusing anecdotes regarding my and my colleagues classroom antics. Hopefully get some photos of my place (and the view from the balcony) when I get moved-in. Stay tuned.

No comments: