Monday, April 28, 2008

"You Want Another Audition?"

Along my trek from the bus stop to my apartment, what should I come across but $20 on the sidewalk. What one does with found money speaks volumes about a person's current situation; both in life, and the immediate situation in which that person is in upon first coming into contact with the discovered currency.

In life: How's your money situation? Do you need this badly? Is $20 a lot for you, or is it simply some bar cash? Is it considered "lowly" of you to stoop and pick-up a damp bill from the sidewalk?

Immediate situation: Is there anyone watching? Does this particular bill look "suspicious" in any way? Are there any bodily-fluid/bodily-solid-coloured streaks upon the visage of The Queen? Are there any homeless/less-fortunate people along the path from the site-of-discovery to your residence?

After asking all of the above questions in my head, I ended-up being $20 richer. Cash-money is untraceable, so it's finders-keepers, losers-shoulda-been-more-carefuls. I can't wait to spend this newly-found bar cash.

I have a meeting Thursday with UBCP (Union of British Columbia Performers) to get an apprenticeship number. I called my agent today, because I still need the contract from ILYBC as proof of my credits, or something. He had it faxed to him, but he's thinking they'll need the original to process everything, so he asked to have the original mailed to him, which he'll have by tomorrow or Wednesday. Great, my only agent interaction of the day.

But as the late Jack Palance said in his portrayal of the rough-and-tumble Curly Washburn "Day ain't over yet."

I got a call at work, of all places.
"You want another audition?"
It was like asking one of those kids on the "World Vision" commercials if they want just 15 cents per day.
"Yes please," said I.
"How about you book this one, God Dammit."
Avec plaisir.
He went on to explain how things in this business are cyclical, which is what I've always been told. It's feast or famine, and I've been starving for a while, so this will be good to break the fast.

This one is for Pilot for a new show called "Caprica" which is a Battlestar Gallactica prequel. Looks like fun, and has a bunch of big words which make me feel all smart and stuff when I talk them with my mouth. It's on Wednesday night with my favourite peeps in North Vancouver, so I'm expecting a hero's welcome.

Hopefully not the 'Nam type of hero's welcome.

No comments: