Friday, February 15, 2008

"They Went Another Way"

I didn't get "I Love You Beth Cooper." My agent just called about a half-hour ago to let me know that "they went another way." I really appreciate him calling me, and he said he wanted to "let me off the hook," which lets me breathe a sigh of relief that I at least got an answer.

Really, this whole "Beth Cooper" ordeal was way more than I ever expected when my agent first called me with the breakdown on February 5th. I was ecstatic just to receive the callback, to get to read for Columbus and to go on that wacky studio "adventure" and get to hang with two experienced actors. I've received compliments abound, and I cherish all of them, and the response from the people that read this, and that I've talked to this project about has been wonderful. I'll never forget this.

I'll have been signed with my agent for one month as of Sunday, so to have all this happen so fast has been a real blessing. He told me on the phone today that he's "not worried about me," and that "I'll do fine." Very, very reassuring to have him believe in me, and I know it's a combination of my work, talent, and of course, luck to have made the impressions that I have made.

Is this too much too soon? Have I created a higher expectation of myself to live up to? We'll see. I certainly won't expect a callback from every thing I go out for, and if anything I should take this as a reassurance of my abilities, that I am castable, and that it's only a matter of time, really, before I book something. Just keep working hard, and it will happen.

They're still looking for a role for me in "Beth Cooper." I kind of figured they'd give a major role like this to someone more experienced anyway, so they'll probably look for something smaller for me, just because I'm starting-out. But hey, consideration for another part is all I can ask for, I'd love to still be a part of this project.

I can sleep easier now (I was actually sleeping just fine when he called me ... ) and I look forward to the next project for which I'm sent-out. I know that you don't audition to get the role, you audition to get another audition. All you can do is work hard, and do your best with the material given, then it's all in the hands of the Casting Directors. You can give the best audition of your life and still not be called back, just because a few other guys did that little bit better, or had the right look for that particular role. There is a lot of luck involved, as any actor will tell you. I love how I talk like a seasoned vet after auditioning a whopping six times. I'll probably read this in a year and laugh my little tuccus off at how I thought I knew it all.

A classmate of mine read for my agent today, did the same memorize-a-huge-audition-and-make-a-big-impression read that I did. He's interested in her, which is great, and is letting her see some other agents before she makes her decision, just like he did with me. This girl is very talented, and I'm glad VFS Acting class 28 is taking-up space on his wall.

Onward and upward, bring on the next one.

No comments: